two sides of the same coin
Shards of glass collide with the hardwood floor. Millions of glittering pieces fall to my feet. All that stares back at me is a broken reflection of all the people I used to be. Scraps of the girl that I am yet to become, this signifies a new start. However the question is, how many 'new' starts can one begin?
Navy satin covers my body as I crunch over the remnants of the expensive bathroom mirror, red droplets trickle down my enclosed fist as I try to pace my breathing. I didn't mean for it to come to this, but I had no choice. He left me no choice. Using my feet I shuffle the shards into a neat bloody pile. Not looking back at what I have to leave behind.
Clicking of my open toe heels echo across the black and white tiled hallway as I make my way to towards the exit, not a hint of remorse for what I had to do. A job is a job. My hands are behind my back like an innocent youth, I look up defiant and ready for the sweet release of freedom. However instead of a clear escape, I lock eyes with the last person I expected to see not daring to take another step towards his darkened silhouette. Ah that's why it felt too easy. Like most things, it's too good to be true.
His broad shoulders take up most of the arch way as his hair slightly covers his face. I'm forcing my eyes not to roll because I know the satisfaction it will give him. "Hands" my eyes give way and roll while he steps into the ray of light that peaks through the window nearby. Polar ice eyes look straight through me sending shockwaves through my spine, the strands of brunette hair that were perfectly swept back into a pony tail come loose. His black tailored trousers match that of the black button up shirt, which exposes his forearms through how he has rolled the arms of it. My teeth clench harder, I can't afford to let this man in, not again. A smirk forms on his face as he looks me up and down, I know I look good. This is not for him, I'm dressed for what I was promised and I won't ever let anyone get in the way of that again. He knows what he does to me, yet here I am. Strong enough to not fall for it.
Now it's a stand off. If I turn to look behind me he'll lurch forward to get me. I cannot move my eyes from his, not even for a split second, as that is all he needs. Hesitation kills. If he moves I make a run for it in the direction I came from, that's all I need.
We both know better than giving the other a chance. His face pleads, mine deflects any emotion I once had.
Behind him there is a crash and the sounds of yelling. Our eyes widen, I should have known he wouldn't have come alone. However now is my only chance. It's every man for themselves, just like how he taught me.
I kick off the shoes to the side and run, as fast as my aching legs can take me, pushing my body harder than its limits. Not bothering to look behind to see if anyone is following. The sound of my feet smacking the tiles doesn't mask that of his shoes inching closer and the profanities that are being shouted from his chest. My hair is coming looser to the point it gives up and falls to my shoulders, his will have done the same. I smile knowing it will slow him down, the one thing that is irresistible about him is also a weakness. Nice to know Karma is on myside this time. Ignoring the stiches in my side I force myself to move faster, he's close I can feel his stone cold breath upon my back.
Kicking the French doors open, I spin back on my heel to face back to what I expect to be a massive mob.
It's just him.
My hands move to the holster attached to my leg. "Get the hell away from me Cade" I scream as I carefully move back, my hands tightening around the gun. "Put the gun down Anna." His hands move in level of mine. Our breathing syncs as the others pile in behind him. They want to make me feel cornered so that I surrender. I laugh at how incapable they are. "Anna" Demands Cade. "we can talk through this, just put the bloody thing down." Ironic that, as I notice the dried crimson flakes that have seeped within the pores of my skin.
Backing slowly, I feel the refreshing stone railing, symbolling the edge of the balcony. It cools me down. "Anna" I'm sick of his voice.
"NO CADE, I'm done. Get away or I'll shoot." That smirk is painted across his face again. "You wouldn't dare." His eyes say otherwise, but little does he know. I have nothing to loose. I angle myself so that I shoot directly through the gap of his raised arms and straight into the guys chest behind him.
As they all turn their heads to inspect what happened. I jump off the edge landing into the hay I strategically placed as I walked in. "ANNA!" Cade screams. Adrenaline infects my veins, as I hop off brushing the hay off my dress with the trusty hand gun. I wave and kiss Cade a goodbye as I watch him scream from up above.
Now it's my turn to have the smirk as I climb into his prized custom grey wrapped, bullet proof Aston Martin. I turn up the music and press the gas hard as I make my way closer and closer to the bright orange sun that meets itself exactly on the horizon.
You see, this was all a set up. The man that's dead in the bathroom will be found in a few minutes and Cade will realise I framed him but it will be too late, the police will be on their way. Oh and the car I'm driving away in, it's illegally imported so he wouldn't be able to report it as stolen as he would end up exposing the illegal trade and get himself in more trouble. Yet your thinking about the blood I left behind, well. That will prove how I died and there's a little surprise in the utility cupboard which is me. Well not exactly me but the logistics will work out. I'm free and he is where he belongs.
Sirens can be heard in the back ground. Wait. I look in the rear view mirror.
Crap. The accelerator hits the floor but so does he.
Why can it never be easy?
Comments
Post a Comment